Monday, 7 January 2013

Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel and Microfoliant Review

This week I finished up my latest tube of Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and thought I would use this opportunity to try one of my many unused cleanser samples. 

In my Latest in Beauty Advent calendar I received a little selection of Dermalogica products.  I've been waiting to try Dermalogica for a while and the Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel and Microfoliant seemed the perfect place to start!


First, the Special Cleansing Gel (centre)  I'm not usually a fan of facial washes like this as I prefer cream hot cloth cleansers.  Mainly because I always assume they will dry my skin out and will need a separate make up remover. 

To use you just squeeze a small amount into wet hands and rub till you get a foam.  You then can apply this all over your face including your eyes which I like.  Surprisingly, this seemed to remove all traces of make-up including mascara.  It has that typical fragrance-free scent (sounds strange I know!)  But it is as if you can smell the chemicals used in the product which to be honest isn't great but it's not too offensive.

Once rinsing off my skin felt super clean if a little tight. I should imagine this is great when you have a breakout.  My skin was left feeling oil free but at the same time not dried out.  This gave a very different result to my usual hot cloth cleansers that clean super effectively but you are left with what feels like a moisturising residue.

I followed this cleanser with the Dermalogica Microfoliant.  (bottom sachet) This is loved!  It's an interesting way to exfoliate and apparently can be used daily.  You tip a small amount of rice protein powder into damp hands rub together till it turns creamy then apply to face rubbing gently.  Depending on how much water you add the different texture you get.

I like that you can customise your exfoliation to you.  I like to mix the powder to a paste with just a tiny amount of grain left.  The scent of this product is traditionally 'soapy' which to be honest isn't my favourite smell.  However, it does leave you feeling super clean!

After exfoliating you simply rinse away.  My skin was even smoother after using this but didn't look red or irritated at all as with some exfoliators.  What I would recommend is using a moisturiser quickly after rinsing to avoid any tight feeling on drier more sensitive skins.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked these products - especially the Microfoliant.  I really am considering buying the full sized version!

Are you a fan of Dermalogica?  What is your favourite product of theirs?

9 comments:

  1. I really loved the microfoliant too but really can't understand how it works! Lol puty it contains parabens
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I had a feeling it was quite chemically :( Which is a shame as it seems to produce results! I just prefer more natural products.

      x

      Delete
  2. I love the masque from the age range but that cleansing gel also sounds great!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cleanser is really quick and effective which is what I love! xx

      Delete
  3. I love Dermalogica! I really rate the Special Cleansing Gel, I've used it a long time and it seems to really suit my combination skin. I love the Active Moist Moisturiser too - again it suits my skin and is light enough so I don't suffer from break outs (which a lot of other moisturisers cause for me).

    I recommend you try Dermalogica pre cleanse - my skin looks a lot clearer when I am not lazy and actually use this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant 250ml & 500ml which one is best for in terms of use & cost.

    ReplyDelete